First, some stats:
- 90: the number of days, start to finish that it took for me to complete this search: December 1st, 2021 to March 1st, 2022.
- Note: Pre-2022 doesn’t really count for much, I applied to one role in December and took a very big break for the holidays, starting in earnest on January 13th, 2022. If you look at that time frame, the process really took 47 days.
- 18: The number of roles I applied to or was invited to apply to
- 33: Total conversations
- 4: the number of assignments I completed
- 3: The number of teams I was ghosted by
- 2: The number of roadmaps I created & presented
- 2: Offers received
- 1: Offer accepted
Three Types of Processes:
2 Roles: The “Prove It” Process
- 30 minute conversation with the recruiter
- 30 minute conversation with the hiring manager
- Several days to complete an assignment
- Present to a panel on the assignment
2 Contract Roles: The “Pitch Us” Process
- 60 minutes with the founder
- Pitch them on what I’d do as a contractor
Everyone Else: A Traditional Process
- 30 minute with the recruiter
- 30 minute with the hiring manager
- Panel interviews with peers & stakeholders, between 3 and 5, each between 45 and 60 minutes
- 30 minutes with executives or leadership
Questions I had the wherewithal to write down or remember:
- Tell me about yourself
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What burns you out?